Extent: 6 ECTS (162 h)
Timing: 1st and 2nd semesters
Level: Free choice studies
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Students will be selected to the course: students must have at least 80 ECTS, good English language skills and completed the Cross-Cultural Management course. Exchange students can take the course without prerequisites.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student
- knows how to operate in an international virtual team environment (professional practice skills)
- knows how international business is related to IHRM
- gets familiar with the current debate on labour mobility and diversity strategies of workforces
- has strengthen her/his personal cross-cultural competence (qualifications)
- understands national culture’s impact on behaviour in a work community.
- Global business environments and multicultural behavior
- Current topics on international business and labour mobility
- Cross-border integration
- International business vs. intercultural management
- Organizational structures of global organizations
- Multinational teambuilding
- Extpatriation issues and contracts
- Multicultural workforce competence
- Intercultural leadership competence
This is a collaborative course with an international partner university.
Teaching and learning methods
Virtual based implementation:
Intensive start of the course 4 h
Weekly based learning assignments in an international virtual team 145 h
Videoconferences 8 h
Exam 4 h
The assessment of one's own learning
A more detailed description of this will be given in the course implementation plan.
Moran, R., Harris, P. & Moran, S. 2007. Managing cultural differences.
Jacob, N. Intercultural management.
Other material handed out during the course.
Assessment components and their respective weights
Course assessment is weighted as follows:
Virtual team work performance (weekly learning assignments) 40%
Participating in the discussion 20%
Final test (web-based test) 40%
All parts of the course must be completed on an acceptable level (50%).
The own learning assessment assignment does not impact your grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and your answers will be used also for course/module development. The assignment is completed on an electronic form.