Scope: 3 ECTS (81 h)
Timing: Semester 3 or later
Level: Professional Studies
Recommended: Business English
The aim is to enhance and deepen students’ abilities and confidence in using spoken English for business purposes.
During the course, the student will develop in
- face-to-face communication and negotiation in multicultural work settings.
- delivering various kinds of spoken business messages (e.g. work process descriptions/discussions, informal business occasions).
- producing effective written / visual support materials for spoken messages.
- structuring messages and organizing information effectively for spoken purposes.
- using nonverbal skills during spoken encounters.
- using English pronunciation toward desired communication goals.
The course corresponds to the B2 level of the Common European Framework.
The course develops and deepens the student's spoken English skills for multicultural business settings.
Teaching and learning methods
Independent studies 81 h
Contact lessons 32-48 h
Individual and group assignments 33-48 h
The assessment of one’s own learning 1 h
Provided by teacher
Students' performance is graded on the following scale: Excellent (5), Very good (4), Good (3), Satisfactory (2), Fair (1), Fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on scale 1 to 5.
Grade 1 (min. 40% of the objective)
Grade 3 (min. 70% of the objective)
Grade 5 (min. 90% of the objective)
Classroom performance, written and spoken assignments, and the final demonstration are at a passable level.
Written and spoken assignments, the final demonstration and classroom performance are at a good level. The student demonstrates an emerging ability for autonomous development.
Classroom performance, written and spoken assignments, and the final demonstration are at an excellent level. The student is clearly capable of autonomous development.
Active participation during contact lessons 50 %
Spoken individual and group assignments 50 %
The assessment of one’s own learning does not influence the grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed on an Electronic form.