Extent: 3 cr (80h)
Timing: 2nd year
Level : professional studies
ENG2LK001 Business English
- To further develop business vocabulary
- To be able to participate effectively in business negotiations and business meetings
- To be able to deliver professional business presentations
- Advanced business vocabulary
- Presentation techniques
- Business discussion and negotiation techniques
- Formal business meetings
- Business written communication
Teaching and learning methods
24h lectures, discussions
24h self-directed work in class
31h assignments and self-directed study
The own learning assessment 1 h
The teachers responsible for the course
Material provided by the teachers (from various external and teacher-created sources)
Assessment is based on
- the demonstration of knowledge in business and finance terminology
- the demonstration of skills in spoken business communication in English: brief presentations, panel discussions, conversations on current economic topics
- the demonstration of skills in the typical spoken and written communication situations of the student’s specialisation area
- the demonstration of familiarity with the use of different means of support necessary for later personal development in communicating in English for specific business purposes
The course corresponds to the B2 level of the Common European Framework.
Students' performance is graded on the following scale: Excellent (5), Very good (4), Good (3), Satisfactory (2), Fair (1), Fail (0). All assessment components must be completed successfully to pass the course. Evaluation is based on the following criteria:
|Grade 1 (min. 40% of the objective)
||Grade 3 (min. 70% of the objective)
||Grade 5 (min. 90% of the objective)
|Written and spoken assignments, the final exam, active participation and classroom performance are of a passable level in terms of knowledge, skills and their further professional application.
||Written and spoken assignments, the final exam, active participation and classroom performance are at a good level in terms of knowledge, skills and their further professional application. The student demonstrates an emerging ability for autonomous professional development in the field of study.
||Written and spoken assignments, the final exam, active participation and classroom performance are at an excellent level in terms of knowledge, skills and their further application. The student is clearly capable of autonomous professional development and the application of his/her knowledge and skills in the field of study.
Assessment components and their respective weights
Class performance 30%
Assignment work 30%
The assessment of one’s own learning does not influence the grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed on an electronic form.